Rogues Gallery Opening: Eduardo Risso

Every once in a while I get the opportunity to combine two of my passions: photography and comic books. Recently I had two of my images published as retailer variant covers for Marvel's Amazing Spider-Man #666. What that means for non-comic book readers is that two comic book stores (Graham Crackers Comics and Challengers Comics + Conversation) hired me to take pictures for them and they used these images as the cover for their exclusive version of that comic. Very few comic book stores are able to do this as it requires a very high minimum order, but at the same time it becomes a "rare" and collectible cover amongst the other versions of that issue. (You can read more about that here on my comic book related blog).

Challengers Comics is a store that is unlike any other comic shop you will visit in Chicago or anywhere else. Last year my husband and I were married in this store by co-owner Pat Brower! Another reason why they are so unique is because they have an art gallery attached to their shop, the Rogues Gallery. The most recent exhibtion opening was for renowned Argentinean artist Eduardo Risso. Much of the featured art was from his well known Vertigo series 100 Bullets, written by Chicago native Brian Azzarello. Also in attendance were several other well-known artists and writers in the comic book community including Jill Thompson (Sandman, Scary Godmother) and Dave Johnson (cover artist well known for his work on 100 Bullets). This is not my first time going to a Rogue's Gallery opening, and it surely won't be my last. Enjoy the images from this event, and feel free to stop by the store while the art is still on display; a new exhibition will open on September 9th so get there fast! As always, more photos after the jump.
Eduardo Risso amongst his original artwork.
 Brian Azzarello looking very Groucho-esque.






Dave "The Reverend" Johnson


 Jill Thompson always makes time for her fans.
Michael Moreci, author of the graphic novel Quarintine.

 Co-owner of Challenger's, Dal Bush.









 Co-owner of Challenger's, Patrick Brower.


 I occasionally like to have evidence of my presence at an event; clearly not comfortable in front of the lens.






Comments

  1. Thank you! I always enjoy going to the Rogues Gallery openings, I hope these images encourage others to check them out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment